Friday, December 11, 2009

My tryst with Ilayaraja - 1

When my story was accepted to be made into a movie, one of the first things we discussed was music directors and one of the first names we discussed was Ilayaraja.

I spent the month of April and May, pretty much running behind my dialogue writer Gandham Nagaraj (of Gamyam fame). Then, Chaitanya was shooting Baanam in Vizag and I went to Vizag to spend couple of days with Gandham Nagaraj (who went there to spend couple of days with Chaitanya). By day two, we kind of picked up steam and I still remember the shared auto ride we took to the beach and when suddenly out of nowhere Nagaraj narrated the one line 'order' to me. I absolutely loved it. The next day afternoon I got a call from Mr. Ashwini Dutt saying that Ilayaraja is ready to listen to the story. I took the next flight available to Chennai.




I reached Ilayaraja's studio 30 minutes late. I hate being late to my appointments. Needless to say, if the one you are meeting Ilayaraja, then the last thing you want to be is late.

To be honest, I didnt know what to expect. I had no clue about the protocols. They asked me to wait in a hall. I carefully made notes about each and every song and song situation.

Finally Ilayaraja came and threw this huge smile. I immediately felt home. In less than two minutes I introduced myself and started explaining about the song situations. He stopped me and asked me to forget about the songs and to narrate the story as it would appear on the screen. For the next one hour, I did.

At the end he said, "Baagundi". He offered few suggestions and then looked at me. That was it. I hesitantly stood up and left.

Well after a month later I went to Chennai to meet him again. This time for songs. He absolutely stunned me by recalling the characters of the story and the situations accurately.

...to be continued.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Prakash!

    That was a nice topic to write about! We are eager to read the continuation! Please write in a detailed manner. All the best for the success of your movie!

    Yours Always Musically,
    Vijay.

    http://drjvvr.blogspot.com
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilaiyaraaja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice writeup. Eagerly waiting for the next episode. Hope you will work with Raja in your next movie. Best wishes for your "Om Shanti Om".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sir,

    Even your narration is alike well-structured screenplay, which induces me to speculate what could be the next scene. We are more than glad to read about your initial meeting with Raaja sir; eagerly awaiting your memorable moments at the songs composing/recording sessions. My best wishes for ya'll. Have a good one!

    always

    ~~Raaja rules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Praksh,
    Eagerly waiting for the next write-up.
    Raaja has great memory , He creates music on fly.
    Thanks for approaching our guru as MD , now a days we are missing him in telugu.Hope you will continue with raja for future projects.

    Hari

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vijay: I will put part 2 out there Asap :-)
    Guru: Yeah, hope I have a next movie
    Kenny: Sure. Thank you.
    Hari: Yeah, he has great memory. He is an interesting mixture of humility and confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi prakash

    I am crazy_kiran...a huge fan of IR...even i made T Shirts with IR image and below written "PURE NATURAL and PERSONAL MUSIC".Probably am the first in world i think ha haa.... The songs of OM SHANTHI are very good...but couple of instruments are very bad...i dont know how it would be taken by people...But anyway if I were you then i would have done one experiment...I would not have revealed that music is by IR but instead i would have shown some satish, some raghu or some vinay as music director ...because when people see IRs face they go and sit at top standards created by IR over the period of decades...so they are not satisfied usually...but same songs if u say are given by new person they will make it hit...and finally on 100th day celebrations i would have revealed :)

    prakash
    one more thing..please picturise the songs aptly ...IRs songs are "artistic"...so they need rich photography and scenic background else they wud go mismatch and be wasted...in mallepuvu movie the title song was butchered by director.MALLEPUVU LO song wud be mindblowing with rich and scenic background like in switzerland or something with modern car and nature behind..but the director picturized in some building construction site thinking that it wud suit the script..that is not necessary and finally the song was killed ...So u please take care and see that you add more value to the song by picturizing them correctly and aptly with rich photography and in a style more suitable for IRs sound....

    Thanks
    crazy_kiran

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prakash

    But why u have only 4 songs when the story is about 5 people ? How can it be sufficient ?

    I forgot to tell ,In case we struggling for stories i always beleived we can select some songs of hundreds of songs of IR composed for south india...then we can "create" a story suitable for the selected songs...sort of reverse engineering...

    one song called "Kattuyile.." sung by IR for ATHU ORU KANAA KAANAM tamil movie, i thought i can create a whole story with that one song itself by reverse engineering...and i thought Ravi Teja wud suit that film...surpringly in hindi that song was identified now and song used as main theme ..and the movie is PAA...
    Just sharing with u :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prakash,
    All the very BEST !
    You are fortunate to have worked with IR.
    We have seen the audio launch yesterday in z telugu.
    As kiran said, it also depends on how they are picturized ..
    Thanks,
    Srinivas.
    Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is wonderful!
    Songs have come out well indeed.
    Please continue you story.Tell us about the BGM(re-recording) experience as well in detail.

    When is the movie likely to be released?

    Raj
    http://rajamanjari.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiran: Thanks for the advice. The songs are already shot. Dont worry, we will not disappoint you. ;-)

    Srinivas: Yup. We tried our best to match the visuals :-) Let us see

    Raj: Thank you. The movie is scheduled to be released on Jan 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flying on the moon and om shanthi is my pick for its peppy instrumental and tune.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Prakash,
    Can I translate ur experience with Ilaiyaraaja to Malayalam(with credit to u) to use here: www.raajamusic.blogspot.com. Pls comment...

    a Raaja admirer

    ReplyDelete